Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Vanity Journey - Facial laser with DRx

In my life, I guess the hardest battle that I've to deal with currently, is probably the battle against acne scarring. Why is the journey to good flawless skin such a treacherous one? #firstworldproblems indeed.

I've been going to DRx for my skin problems and I love them & their products because they help to minimize black/white heads and reduce the frequency & size of my pimples if they do occur. One major problem I have with recurring pimples is that they often leave a red mark after they're gone & they would be there for the longest time :( 

So in this post, I will talk about a treatment that I've been going for since 2011. I've gone for about 7 sessions & these laser treatments have dramatically improved my skin condition. This post will be an image heavy post & lots of unglam ugly pictures so please do not judge! 

I've gone for 2 different types of laser, one invasive ( can't remember the name of the laser) but it was to target deeper scars and leave bloody marks all over and it was extremely painful! I went for two sessions of that and then decided to stop because I really couldn't bear the pain and the downtime.
But it helped to improve the appearance of deeper scars!

For the second type of laser, it is call the CO2 fractional laser. It is done for the overall resurfacing of the skin and it is usually quite painful at the upper lip area and the area around the eye.

So this is the condition of my skin before my laser. The main bout of the scars and large pores are at the sides of my cheek and scars on my nose as well 




Before the treatment, I would have to apply a layer of numb cream on my face and let it settle and take effect for about an hour. Normally I would ask the nurse to apply a thick layer as I have very low tolerance for pain!


I do not have pictures of the during but you can easily google it on YouTube. 

This is on the night of the laser treatment. As you can see, the skin will turn a little red after the treatment and it's normal. I regretted telling the doctor not to increase the power of the laser. I shouldn't be so chicken if I had wanted to see greater effects in this session. I NEED to have more courage for my next session. 

The face was actually burning because I had just showered and it was really painful :( 




After the laser treatment, for the next few days, you will be required to put a layer of hylauronic moisturizer (HM) on your face. The purpose of of HM is to moisturize the face while encouraging new cell growth. I dislike this, because it makes my face super oily and I can't lie on sides while I sleep. The feeling is just "eww". 


Day 2 of healing. Not much of a difference except that the face is slightly less red and the 'tiny dots" on the face are starting to turn brownish.




Day 3 of healing. In the last picture,you can see that the scabs have turned brown and are ready to fall off to reveal the new skin! My forehead is less red than the other areas as the doctor had used a lower power for that area as there is not scars on the area.

Normally on day 3, my face will start to itch and I would usually use a facial mist to calm the area and reduce itching!






Day 4. Not much difference from day 3. But skin becomes brownish due to the tiny dots.




Day 5. Scabs have mostly fallen. Skin remains pinkish.




Did a comparison collage between before laser treatment and 5 days after laser treatment. How wonderful is the treatment! I'm really addicted to CO2 treatment as I can see the effects after 1 session. 

But the only thing is, I would need to reduce the interval between each treatments to see better effects. The last time I did this was in March and I had delayed the treatment for 7 months before doing it again October. However, te period of downtime was what had caused the delay as I can't take a week leave so often. 


Day 6. Scabs have mostly fallen & new skin is revealed. Acne scars are much shallower except for some stubborn scars near the nose area and cheek area. But otherwise, I'm really happy with the effects of this treatment.




















5 comments:

  1. Hi Weileng! Chanced upon your blog post through Google search and your post has been really informative! Would like to know how much does it cost for your CO2 laser treatment? Did you bought a package or paid by per session? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvette, thank you for your comment! I bought my packages from DRx. I paid $3k for first 5 sessions then $2k for subsequent 5 sessions. I've gone for 9 sessions now, and haven't gone for the last session as I got lazy after my wedding. The before pic that I post is results after about 5 sessions. My pitted scars have improved a lot and have become shallower but I don't think you can expect baby smooth skin from this treatment. I'll definitely recommend this treatment if you're dealing with scars and open pores! Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oh also, since it has been approximately two years now, did you managed to get rid off all your pitted scars? How many treatments did you went through to get your clear skin back? :)

    ReplyDelete